An Audiologist Can Help

Who is an audiologist?

Audiology is a highly recognized profession and has been ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the Best Careers in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Audiologists (Au-di-ol-o-gists) are the primary health-care professionals to evaluate, diagnose, treat, and manage hearing loss and balance disorders in adults and children.

Most audiologists earn a doctor of audiology (AuD) degree, but, there are also other doctoral degrees that audiologists can obtain (i.e., PhD, ScD, etc) from accredited universities with special training in the prevention identification, assessment, and treatment of hearing disorders. Audiologists must be licensed in most states. Audiologists work in a variety of settings, such as hospitals, clinics, private practice, ENT offices, universities, K-12 schools, government, military, and VA hospitals.

Source: “What is an Audiologist” American Academy of Audiology

Why see a TPA audiologist for a tinnitus problem?

A Tinnitus Practitioners Association certified audiologist is an audiologist who has specific education and training in providing tinnitus and hyperacusis evaluations, treatment and/or management. There are two types of TPA accreditation; Associate Member and Fellow Member. Associate Members are qualified to evaluate tinnitus complaints. Following an evaluation, the audiologist will explain your results and make recommendations which may include referral to a Fellow Member, medical, or associated healthcare professional. Fellow members have additional education and training and are able to work with patients that have complex problems associated with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

The goals of the TPA audiologist will be:

  • To establish an accurate tinnitus diagnosis, maintain hearing and communication abilities
  • To exclude medical disorders of the ear and hearing
  • To provide comprehensive hearing and tinnitus rehabilitative services

What can I expect?

Additional Resources

The following is a list of professional organizations where you can obtain more information on tinnitus and hyperacusis. Simply click on the organization’s name to be automatically directed to the website.


  • Living with Tinnitus; Davis P, Rushcutters Bay, NSW: Gore & Osment; 1995
  • Tinnitus: A Self Management Guide for the Ringing in Your Ears; Henry J, Wilson PH, Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon; 2002.
  • The Consumer Handbook on Tinnitus; Tyler RS, ed., Sedona, Ariz: Auricle Ink Publishers; 2008
  • Tinnitus Questions and Answers; Vernon J, Tabachnick Sanders B, Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon; 2001